Nutritionist Joy Bauer, the "Today" show's diet editor, looks at some popular dieting myths—or are they?
- Diet and exercise can transform fat into muscle: The one can't become the other.
- Metabolism slows with age, and there's nothing you can do about it: Exercise can maintain your burn.
- It's better to eat six mini-meals than three squares: The schedule that fits your lifestyle is best.
- Substituting a fatty dessert for a meal is OK: True!
- Eating nine servings of produce a day is impossible: What a nutritionist considers a serving is so small (half a cup to a cup) that it's not much of a challenge.