Google will look like a twit if it doesn’t snap up Twitter, and Henry Blodget of Silicon Alley Insider gives 5 reasons it should part with $1 billion to do so:
- Search, Google’s bread and butter, is dwindling, and the company needs a new growth engine to energize the business. If it acts now, it may grab Twitter on the cheap.
- Twitter’s a better fit for Google’s portfolio than YouTube and could bridge its communications gap.
- Google banks $1 billion of cash every 2 months. If the acquisition turns sour—which many think it won’t—it can file the deal under “oops.”
- Twitter could emerge as a threat to Google’s search business.
- Sheer vanity: Google could boast ownership of two websites-turned-verbs.