UK's Anti-Terror Chief Quits Over Photo Faux Pas
Learns the hard way not to carry top-secret memos in plain sight
By Rob Quinn,  Newser Staff
Posted Apr 9, 2009 6:02 AM CDT
British police officers stand guard outside a residence in Manchester, after anti-terrorist raids across northwest England, Wednesday April 8, 2008.    (AP Photo/Martin Rickett, PA)
camera-icon View 2 more images

(Newser) – The crack British counter-terrorism official who was inadvertently photographed carrying a paper with details of raids that snared 12 men linked to al-Qaeda yesterday has stepped down, the Wall Street Journal reports. Bob Quick, who was bringing the document to a meeting at Downing Street, had previously apologized for the blunder, which sped the timing of the raids.

"I have today offered my resignation in the knowledge that my action could have compromised a major counter-terrorism operation," Quick said in a statement. "I deeply regret the disruption caused to colleagues undertaking the operation." Security officials said the raids snared 12 men involved in a "very serious" al-Qaeda-linked plot.