The British government is facing calls to ban a substance doctors blame for at least 20 deaths, the Daily Telegraph reports. GBL—an industrial solvent banned for personal use in the US years ago—is metabolized into banned drug GBH when ingested. Doctors warn that even tiny amounts can be poisonous and say it has killed several people a year since it took off as a "club drug" this decade.
"It's a very dangerous drug," said one specialist. "On the clubbing scene I would say that GBL poisonings are a daily occurrence."