Move over, Ashton Kutcher. Oprah crossed the million-followers threshold on Twitter yesterday. What does this mean for microblogging and life as we know it? Simon Dumenco of Advertising Age, who worked with Oprah to launch O Magazine, has some thoughts:
- Oprah is bigger than God. @God barely has any followers. Also, Twitter has been willing to shut down Oprah’s impersonators, but not God’s.
- Sorry Twitter, Oprah’s just not that into you. She hasn’t tweeted in days—not even to mark the millionth-follower landmark.
- Oprah’s fundamentally wrong for Twitter. She’s about listening, not broadcasting.
- The TwOprah bump is overrated. The moms who rushed to Twitter for Oprah probably aren’t sticking around.
- But Oprah’s made it safe to tweet. There’s no reason to be ashamed anymore. If Oprah does it, it must be OK.