Avoid financial injury by following these ten tips from MSNBC:
- Shop for tests. Different labs may vary widely in costs.
- Negotiate. Hospitals may waive or reduce a co-pay fee if the patient can prove that it's a hardship.
- Question the necessity of follow-up appointments, X-rays or MRIs.
- See if there's a cheaper version of your medication.
- Speak direct to your doctor about unmanageable bills.
- Do independent lab work through MyMedLab.com.
- Negotiate between doctors and insurance with a patient advocate.
- Fill prescriptions with big retailers.
- Split larger-dose versions of your pills.
- Try bartering—your labor for your doc's.