If reducing emissions was Plan A to save the earth from global warming, these plans from Popular Science would be more like Plan ... Z:
- Make more Arctic ice—out of saltwater.
- Cool the oceans, which feed storms with warm water, by sucking up cold water from the ocean floor with giant floating tubes.
- Grow "super trees" that will limit demand on wood products from the battered rain forests.
- Make your own wetlands; this technique also recycles plastic and foam.
- Cover glaciers in insulating blankets to keep them from melting (already in use in the Swiss Alps—and it works!).