It’s almost summer, and that means it’s time to forget about the economy, grab a book, and head to the beach. The Wall Street Journal has some suggestions:
- The Secret Speech, by Tom Rob Smith: Nothing says “escapism” like this novel—set in the paranoid nightmare of Soviet Russia.
- The Bourne Deception by Robert Ludlum: Spoiler: Jason Bourne gets a new identity.
- Fragment by Warren Fahy: A Jurassic Park-esque thriller that features, we kid you not, “spigers”—creatures that are part spider, part tiger.
- Get Real by Donald Westlake: The late Westlake’s final novel starring bumbling crook John Dortmunder.
- The American Future by Simon Schama: A historian tries to divine America’s future by analyzing the past.