It's no small task to find a robust, canned American beer for less than $1, but these six passed the bar—albeit just barely—in a blind taste test conducted by the Washington Post:
- Baltimore's National Bohemian tops the list with its secret strategy: "Actually tastes like beer."
- Miller High Life has a refreshing fizz, but drink too many and expect to be bloated.
- The full-bodied Pabst Blue Ribbon may prove too heavy for some, but it's rich and smooth.
- Once the taste buds have been numbed by better beer, try Bud Light—billed as "minimally flavored fizzy water."
- Schaefer's fruitier flavor seemed too sugary to several testers.
- Last place: Schlitz, "tasteless and slightly reminiscent of saliva."