Iran Bars EU From Nuke Talks
By Kevin Spak,  Newser Staff
Posted Jul 1, 2009 1:32 PM CDT
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad talks with a man during his visit to a construction site in Tehran on Monday.   (AP Photo)
camera-icon View 2 more images

(Newser) – The European Union is “disqualified” from participating in further nuclear talks with Iran, the country’s top general said today, accusing it of “interference” in post-election riots. At the same time, the EU is considering withdrawing its ambassadors in response to the arrest of nine British embassy staffers in Tehran last week, the BBC reports. One is still being held.

The military chief said EU members had supported the riots, and demonstrated hostility toward the Iranian people. Until now, Iran has aimed those allegations at Britain specifically. Nuclear talks were going poorly anyway; in the most recent round, Iran turned down an EU incentive package to stop its program, saying it was “non-negotiable.”