You want to find a new place to stay/eat/visit, but how can you trust the online reviews when they could be faked by the owner? Travel + Leisure has a few suggestions for filtering out the self-interested imposters:
- Ad copy clichés like "affordable elegant serenity."
- Vague praise instead of specific anecdotes.
- Industry jargon like "accommodations" and "amenities."
- Praising features only a hotelier would know about.
- Trying too hard to appeal to everyone.
- Name-checking of brands is a sure tip-off.