As health care talk heats up in Washington, Mark Halperin of Time lists the key players to watch:
- Sen. Max Baucus is trying to wring out as much GOP support as possible on his finance panel.
- White House health czar Nancy-Ann DeParle has been winning concessions from the health care industry to cut costs.
- Congressional Budget Office chief Douglas Elmendorf plays “referee” to spending in any bill. He's already hit Democrats' plans as too expensive.
- White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel at some point will tell President Obama that "now's the time" to make the big final push.
- Sen. Charles Grassley (R-Iowa) could lead his party to make a deal.
- Top lobbyist Karen Ignagni is fighting against a public option.
- White House budget guru Peter Orszag will have to sign off on any deal to make sure it doesn't bust the bank.
- Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid must somehow avoid a "legislative train wreck."
- Dems are wooing Sen. Olympia Snowe to make the bill bipartisan—giving her a lot of power.
- House Energy and Commerce Committee chair Henry Waxman is the House’s health care “point man.”