Millions of Americans had lost their homes long before subprime crisis plunged the nation into economic peril. Recognizing the plight of the homeless, The Nation offers 10 tips for street survival:
- Try to relieve passersby of their misconceptions without internalizing their cruel remarks. "Let go of your pride—but hold on to your dignity."
- "Travel light," with basic ID to access services. "You can check email and read at the library."
- Carry high-protein foods like nuts and peanut butter, and schedule your time around soup kitchen meals.
- Sleep deprivation is inevitable, but "always have a blanket. Whenever possible, sleep in groups with staggered schedules."
- Be nice to cops, but know your rights—"even if they're routinely violated."
Read more tips for the homeless by clicking on the link below.