The fall runways offered their share of splurges—like the must-have biker jacket—but savvy, recession-friendly choices like the pinstripe suit had their own moment in the spotlight. Vogue highlights the most important fall trends:
- Biker chic: Think zippers and shrunken tops. Designers from Christophe Decarnin to Alexander Wang featured tough-chic looks.
- Show it off: Corsets and bralettes highlighted the bust, while one-pieces flaunted the legs—and of course, there was the bare midriff.
- Back to the 1940s: Some designers reminisced with big shoulder pads; others with long, glamorous gowns.
- Back to the '80s: Other designers revived a more recent decade with metallic leather and crystal-studded minidresses.
- Drapey dresses: Flowing, layered skirts came in both short and long varieties from Donna Karan, Oscar de la Renta, and others.
- Classic looks: Camel hair, pinstripes, double-breasted jackets, and tweed found themselves back on the runways.