Vanity Fair’s 2009 International Best-Dressed List is as glamorous as ever, but the magazine didn’t ignore the global pinch of the recession. A sampling of the honorees, along with their favorite recession-friendly bargain-hunting locale or item:
- Michelle Obama: J. Crew
- Barack Obama: Secret Service employees’ store
- Alicia Keys: Barneys warehouse sale
- Brad Pitt: Make It Right Foundation T-shirts
- Princess Letizia of Asturias: Mango, Massimo Dutti, and Zara
- Kelly Ripa: Super Saturday, the annual Hamptons-based garage sale of designer fashions
- Renee Zellweger: The Brimfield Antique Show in Massachusetts
- Jane and Aerin Lauder: Thakoon for Target
- Peter Beard: The Grand Bazaar in Istanbul and the Libyan Desert near Siwa Oasis
- A few notables either don’t bargain shop, or do it discreetly; among them: Carla Bruni-Sarkozy, Anne Hathaway, Penelope Cruz, Tiki Barber, Daniel Craig, Catherine Deneuve, and Michael Bloomberg.
For the complete list, click the link below.