Do you have a birther in your life? Well Salon is here to help. Here’s their rundown of birther myths, and how to refute them:
- Barack Obama wasn’t born in America: Not only has Hawaii repeatedly authenticated his birth certificate, the newspaper birth announcements were placed by Hawaii health officials.
- Hawaii will issue a birth certificate to anyone: Yes, but it won’t say they were born in Hawaii, as Obama’s does.
- Obama traveled to Pakistan on an Indonesian passport, to avoid a US travel ban: There was no travel ban.
- His own grandmother says he was born in Kenya: It was a miscommunication; birthers conveniently edit the audio to omit her instant correction.
- Obama hasn’t released his birth certificate: Technically true, but what he released is what any Hawaiian would get if they requested a birth certificate.