No More Free News Online: Murdoch
Mogul steps up plans to charge for all News Corp's web offerings
By Rob Quinn, Newser Staff
Posted Aug 6, 2009 2:17 AM CDT
News Corporation chairman Rupert Murdoch addresses a press conference in Mumbai.   (AP Photo/Rajanish Kakade)

(Newser) – Rupert Murdoch says the days of News Corp.'s giving away news from its newspapers and TV stations on the Internet are numbered, the Financial Times reports. Murdoch, who earlier this year said he planned to test pay-to-read models, now says he plans to start charging for access to all news sites in his media empire. The mogul says the success of the Wall Street Journal's subscription plan proves consumers are willing to pay for quality content.

"The digital revolution has opened many new and inexpensive distribution channels but it has not made content free," said Murdoch, whose company posted a $3.4 billion loss for the year to June yesterday. Murdoch acknowledged that News Corp. will face stiff competition from outlets offering free online news, but he predicted other media outlets would soon follow his lead. "Our policy is to win," he said.

View 1 more image