Too many people have given up talking about modern art, retreating behind pat statements like “art is subjective,” writes Paddy Johnson in the Christian Science Monitor. Here are some attitudes that drive her crazy:
- Anyone could do that: A typical rejoinder is, “But you didn’t.” It takes practice to recognize the good modern art from the bad.
- Elitists rule the art world: They rule every world. Don’t worry about it.
- Viewing a work online is good enough: Nothing replaces viewing an original in a gallery setting. "Space, texture, and light affect how we perceive the work."
- This work generated so much discussion, it must be good!: A lot of people talk about Lindsay Lohan, but that doesn’t mean she’s talented.
- Anything can be art: Only if it’s in a gallery and an artist says it is.
- Artists are ahead of their times: No, they’re just human. “There is no such thing as an art visionary.”