Tom DeLay had some clever moves to help him become majority leader—but his bag of tricks won’t help him much on the dance floor. In Newsweek, Katie Connolly lists a few techniques Dancing With the Stars fans won’t stand for. He can’t:
- Redistrict to score more votes. That might have worked in Texas, but “Unfortunately for DeLay, this electorate isn't easily gerrymandered.”
- Drop out to avoid losing. Sure, it worked when he faced a tough political battle in 2006, but it “doesn’t make for good reality TV.”
- Party too hard. He used to drink “eight to 12 martinis a night,” said "Hot Tub Tom" in his biography—far too much for good dancing.
- Liken kids to monkeys. He slammed the teaching of evolution, saying schools taught kids “that they are nothing but glorified apes.” The kids will be voting, so don't insult them.
- Win by raising cash. He’s a great political fundraiser, but that won’t cut it on the floor.