Ted Kennedy was a crusader for environmental protection and energy efficiency long before those causes became fashionable. Climate Progress lists his accomplishments:
- He eliminated the “oil depletion allowance,” which excluded 22% of oil producer’s revenue from taxes.
- Kennedy created the 2007 American COMPETES Act, which funds clean energy research.
- He fought Bush administration efforts to weaken the Clean Air Act and strip the EPA of enforcement staff.
- The senator boosted funding for mass transit to reduce pollution and congestion.
- He played a key role in the defeat of a proposal to allow drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Reserve.
Click the link below for the full list of Kennedy's contributions to environmental protection.