Carefully crafted Facebook status updates are helping NYC's elite stay fabulous. Make like Tinsley Mortimer and keep up with the Joneses by following these five rules, courtesy of New York:
- Stay intriguingly aloof by name-dropping cautiously. Avoid being too obvious ("Off to dinner with Anna Wintour!") or vague ("Dinner out tonight") by using abbreviations and hints: "Having dinner with BFJ and last night's Daily Show guest."
- Undershare. Toy with your friends by merely hinting about the fabulousness of your life: Post a beautiful photo with no caption; later tack on a single word: "Nantucket."
- Complain: "Had too much champagne and caviar. Must leave Ibiza."
- Be self-depreciating: Admonish yourself as a way to slip in details about your posh life: "Forgot toothbrush in Hamptons, now have to go back for a few days."
- Brag via the mouths of others: Let others explain how great you are: "Weirdo on street told me I had great legs."