Cash for Clunkers reverberated through August auto sales reports released today, with Ford and Hyundai scoring big jumps, the Wall Street Journal reports. The winners and losers:
- Ford's light vehicle sales rose 17% year-over-year, with the Focus and Escape both in the top eight most popular vehicles purchased through the Clunkers program.
- Hyundai's sales surged 47%.
- GM plummeted 20%, while its vehicles were among the most traded in under the program.
- Chrysler's sales dropped 15% from the year-ago period. The firm blamed inventory shortages on its low sales.
- Nissan saw an August year-over-year sales decline of 2.9%.