With American Melanie Oudin’s surprise roll to the US Open quarterfinals capturing the sports world’s imagination, Chris Chase of Yahoo! Sports lists five facts you should know about the 17-year-old:
- It’s gotta be the shoes: Oudin herself selected the pink-and-yellow look. Maker Adidas earlier said the design wouldn’t be made available to the public—a move it might be rethinking just about now.
- More shoes: Rather than her name, Oudin had “BELIEVE” put on the heels of her kicks.
- Shoes, part III: That idea was from her 15-year-old boyfriend.
- Help from above: The folks running the PA system played the Cher tune Believe after Oudin’s victory today.
- The Russia connection: Unseeded Oudin has beaten a Russian in each round so far, but won’t get a chance Wednesday, with No. 9 Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark having ousted sixth-seeded Russian Svetlana Kuznetsova in a late match today.