If you’ve had a few kids, you know that you don’t need half of the baby products littering the shelves of Babies “R” Us, but new parents are easy prey for marketers. Brad Tuttle offers a list of the silliest, most useless crap in Time:
- Crib bedding sets: The bumper pad and comforter pose suffocation hazards, meaning you pay big bucks to use half a set.
- The Wipe Warmer: “Are wipes really THAT cold?”
- Video monitor: “We are spied on enough in the day and age; give the baby a break.”
- Diaper Genie: “They don’t keep the smell any better contained than regular trash cans—trust me.”
- Baby powder: A while back experts realized that it can cause respiratory problems for babies. Also, “your baby’s bottom is just going to get all clumpy and yucky as soon as they wet their diaper.”
- Shoes: “Is your baby walking?”