Where will young people wind up once the recession ends? Some experts give the Wall Street Journal their best guesses:
- (tie) Washington, DC: Young people see Barack Obama as “America’s coolest boss,” says one panelist. Jobs in and around government abound, including nonprofit work that appeals to service-minded young people.
- (tie) Seattle: It’s a “high-tech and lifestyle mecca,” with a lot of jobs in prominent sectors.
- New York: The Big Apple’s “mythic status” as a destination for the best and brightest keeps drawing young people.
- Portland: Unemployment is high, but the city’s so cool that young people can’t stay away.
- Austin: “A model for a thriving 21st-century knowledge-based community,” Texas’ capital boasts a tech-savvy, arts-loving youth culture.