The WNBA finals are going on, which has—in the past—led Sam Greenspan to joke, “Man I hope one of the players lands a one-handed breakaway dunk to seal the best-of-one series!” The league is “universally ripped on,” he writes for 11points.com, but the time has come to give it a break, and here’s why:
- The playoffs don’t go on forever: “As much as I love them, even I find the NBA playoffs to be farcically slow.”
- You couldn’t beat them: “The vast, vast majority of guys are fatter, slower, and in way worse shape than WNBA players.”
- Some players are easy on the eyes: “At the end of the day, there's no one in the WNBA who's even close to as ugly as Sam Cassel, Joakim Noah, Shawn Marion, Chris Kaman or Scottie Pippen.”
- It’s not as low-scoring as you think: And not losing as much money as you think, either.
- It shouldn’t have to compare to the NBA: It is different. But what it offers is “hard-working players who make the same salaries as most of the fans, players who actually have mid-range game, plenty of close games with clutch endings, $20 tickets for good seats, and even some budding superstars.”
To see the complete list, click the link below.