The stop-motion version of A Christmas Carol topped the weekend box office, opening with a $31 million haul. The figure is a slight disappointment, on the low end of the projected range for the family-friendly flick, reports Variety. The Michael Jackson documentary This is It lost 40% off last week's chart-topping opening, raking in $14 million. Buzz machine Precious opened at just 18 locations and broke the record for per-location average with total ticket sales of $1.8 million.
The top five:
- A Christmas Carol, $31 million
- Michael Jackson's This Is It, $14 million
- The Men Who Stare at Goats, $13.3 million
- The Fourth Kind, $12.5 million
- Paranormal Activity, $8.6 million