Oprah’s exit from broadcast TV could have big implications for the protégés and hangers-on who owe her their careers. The Chicago Sun-Times looks at what’s next for the denizens of Planet Oprah:
- Gayle King: O, the Oprah Magazine should keep on trucking, so King, its editor-at-large, will have a job. But the East Coast dweller will have a hard time keeping up with Winfrey when she moves to Southern California.
- Dr. Phil: His show has a syndication deal through 2014, so he’s staying put.
- Bob Greene: Already a standby in her entourage, Oprah’s trainer may see a lot more of her now—he lives in Santa Barbara.
- Laura Berman: The sex educator will still be based in Chicago, but she’ll soon have her own talk show on OWN.
- Rachael Ray: She’s so big now, she could survive in an Oprah-free world.