Sure, we all could have predicted Avatar would clean up and Sandra Bullock's ascendance would continue come Oscar nomination time. But who were today's notable snubs? Us offers a list:
- Brad Pitt: Failed to score a Best Actor nomination for his critically acclaimed, SAG-nominated role in Inglourious Basterds.
- Daniel Day-Lewis: Also missing from the Best Actor category, though he was nominated for a Golden Globe for his turn in Nine.
- Emily Blunt: Scored a Golden Globe Best Actress nod for The Young Victoria, but not an Oscar nod.
- Marion Cotillard and Julia Roberts: Blunt's fellow Golden Globe nominees—both of whom are also Oscar winners—didn't make the cut, either.
- Clint Eastwood: Ignored in the Best Director race for his drama Invictus.
- The Hangover: Some fans thought it had a chance, considering the Best Picture category was expanded to 10 films and it was nominated for a Golden Globe.
- Julie & Julia and Nine: Also ignored in the Best Picture race, though they were good enough for the Globes.