Police, firefighters, and Hazmat teams stormed a home in Westland, Mich., on Monday after the home’s owner mistook the stink emanating from an abandoned litter box for the smell of an active meth lab, WLBZ2 NBC reports. The homeowner, Sue Walters, had recently kicked out the home’s longtime tenants. When she went to examine the house—for the first time in 20 years—she was confronted by a horrific odor.
She assumed the smell was ammonia, a major ingredient in homemade meth, so she called the authorities in a panic. But tests revealed that there wasn’t any ammonia in the house. “Not a meth lab,” said a Hazmat officer. “Just an un-kept house with a lot of cats. The cats’ urine turned to an ammonia smell.” Authorities soon cleared out, but the house isn't exactly livable.