Obama Should Put a Mom on the Court
Women who want kids don't have enough powerful role models
By Kevin Spak,  Newser Staff
Posted Apr 28, 2010 2:50 PM CDT
Diane Wood, seen here, has three kids and three stepkids, so Beinart's hoping Obama picks her.   (AP Photo/University of Chicago, Lloyd DeGrane, File)

(Newser) – Barack Obama should put another woman on the Supreme Court, and it ought to be a woman with kids, argues Peter Beinart in the Daily Beast. Scan the halls of power, and you'll discover surprisingly few moms. Only 6 of the last 16 female Cabinet members have had kids. We're providing plenty of role models for the 20% of women who don't want kids, but not many for the other 80%.

“As anyone who has ever watched their daughter eye a Barbie Doll can attest, role models matter,” Beinart argues. “The message you're sending young women is that they can achieve professionally, or they can have a family, but they can't do both.” Yeah, it's a shame we have to consider this for women and not for men, but there's no shortage of powerful dads. Every male justice has kids—heck, Antonin Scalia has nine.
 

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
15%
0%
12%
9%
58%
6%