Mumbai Gunman Sentenced to Death
Crowds celebrate
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted May 6, 2010 5:34 AM CDT
Activists of the main opposition Bharatiya Janata Party beat an effigy of Pakistani Mohammed Ajmal Kasab as they celebrate his death sentence, at the state party office in Hyderabad, India, Thursday.   (AP Photo/Mahesh Kumar A)
camera-icon View 1 more image

(Newser) – Mohammed Ajmal Kasab, the lone surviving gunman from the Mumbai terror attacks of 2008, was sentenced to death today by an Indian court, three days after the Pakistani was found guilty of murder and waging war against India. "Such a person can't be given an opportunity to reform himself," the judge said, rejecting the argument that Kasab had acted under pressure from the Pakistani militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba.

Kasab covered his face with hands and wept when the sentence was announced. His lawyer said no decision had been made on whether to appeal. Death sentences in India are increasingly rare, but when performed are carried out by hanging. "We're all very satisfied," said a senior police official involved with the investigation into the attacks. "I hope it will be a deterrent for Pakistan so they will stop exporting terrorists across the border."