The New York Knicks are desperate to woo LeBron James, and so is New York, which has laid out a huge piece detailing all the reasons King James should be the King of NYC when his Cavaliers contract ends July 1. Its reasons include:
- It's where you make that first billion: “The income opportunities would be boundless. It would be staggering,” says one former Pepsi marketer. Sure, you can get ad deals in Cleveland, but the wealthy financiers of NYC will open their wallets for anything with your name on it.
- Celebrities want you to: Tommy Hilfiger is offering you free clothes, Jean-Georges Vongerichten is offering you free dinners, and Spike Lee says he's working on an offer. Plus, as John Leguizamo says, “Have you ever been to Scores, LeBron? There's no strip club like New York strip clubs.”
- They'll do whatever it takes to win: Including luring Chris Bosh, and any other marquee free agents who catch your eye over the years.
- Winning is better there: “The parade is just crazy,” says Derek Jeter. “That many people?”
- They'll name a street after you: And a sandwich. Carnegie Deli already has one ready to go.
- Mike D'Antoni: 'Nuff said.