13-Year-Old Killer Spared Life Sentence
Detroit boy to stay in juvenile detention until he turns 21
By Rob Quinn,  Newser Staff
Posted Jun 18, 2010 5:45 AM CDT
Steve Babcock holds a framed senior portrait of his daughter Trisha Babcock, who was 24 when she was killed Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2009 in Davison, Mich.    (AP Photo/Detroit News, John T. Greilick)

(Newser) – A Detroit boy who murdered a woman when he was 12 has been sent to juvenile prison until he is 21 years old. Authorities will then decide if Demarco Harris should be released or serve a life sentence. Harris, now 13, shot and killed 24-year-old Trisha Babcock in a botched robbery last year. Her father says the sentence is unfair. "For him to have a chance or opportunity to be set free when he is 21 is not justice for my daughter," he told CNN.

Harris will automatically be sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole if he is convicted of a felony while he is juvenile detention. His mother told the court that she blamed herself for failing as a single parent. "I don't want you to lock him up for the rest of his life and throw away the key," she said, "but whatever it is that you see fit, I pray to God that you come up with the right solution and whatever it is that you say, it still won't be enough for that family."
 

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
5%
11%
5%
62%
5%
13%