brain eating amoeba

15 Stories

Brain-Eating Amoeba Kills Student After Swim

Kerry Stoutenburgh, 19, died Aug. 31

(Newser) - Health officials say a New York college student has died of a rare brain infection she probably contracted while swimming in a body of fresh water in Maryland, the AP reports. A spokesman for the Cecil County health department in northeastern Maryland says it was notified by New York state... More »

'Divine Intervention:' Boy 4th to Survive Brain-Eating Amoeba

Quick-thinking doctors and a happy coincidence saved Sebastian DeLeon, 16

(Newser) - A 16-year-old South Florida boy has made a miraculous recovery after becoming infected with a rare brain-eating amoeba. Sebastian DeLeon is only the fourth person in the US to survive an infection by the Naegleria fowleri parasite, which he contracted while swimming, Florida Today reports. On Aug. 5, the teen... More »

Teen Dies From Brain-Eating Amoeba After Rafting Trip

Her raft overturned in North Carolina

(Newser) - An Ohio woman who went whitewater rafting in North Carolina has died of an infection after being exposed to an amoeba naturally present in warm fresh water, the AP reports. Lauren Seitz of Westerville, Ohio, visited North Carolina with her church group. The 18-year-old's only known underwater exposure was... More »

Mom Finds Poignant Note From Her Dead 6-Year-Old

'We have no idea when he wrote it,' his mom says

(Newser) - Like many 6-year-olds, Leland Shoemake loved getting dirty. He also loved history, Steven Spielberg, and Adam Sandler. But "the one thing he loved most was playing in the dirt," his mother, Amber Shoemake, writes on Facebook . "I never imagined that would be the thing that would take... More »

Brain-Eating Amoeba Claims Another Young Victim

Parasite that killed teen not usually found so far north

(Newser) - The Naegleria fowleri parasite is extremely rare, experts say, but that will be no comfort to the family of 14-year-old Hunter Boutain. The Minnesota teenager, the latest victim of the brain-eating amoeba, was dead just 48 hours after he became infected while swimming in a Minnesota lake, the New York ... More »

Brain-Eating Amoeba Kills Woman, 21

CDC warns against warm, still water

(Newser) - It started with a headache about two weeks ago. But a 21-year-old California woman soon began vomiting, and after being unable to shake the symptoms within a day, went to the hospital on June 17. Officials say she's now dead, having succumbed to a rare infection caused by a... More »

Brain-Eating Amoeba Found Lurking in La. Water System

Officials tell residents water is OK to drink, but not to get it in their noses

(Newser) - Residents of a Louisiana parish have been warned that there's an unwelcome visitor in their water supply. Routine samples taken from St. John the Baptist Parish's Water District No. 1—which provides water to more than 12,500 people—tested positive for Naegleria fowleri, a brain-eating amoeba that... More »

Girl the 3rd Known Survivor of Brain-Eating Amoeba

Kali Hardig, 12, left an Arkansas hospital yesterday

(Newser) - A 12-year-old Arkansas girl who survived a rare and often fatal infection caused by a brain-eating amoeba went home yesterday after being hospitalized since July. Kali Hardig was diagnosed with a devastating infection called primary amebic meningoencephalitis after a trip to a now-shuttered Arkansas water park this summer. There were... More »

Boy, 12, Loses Battle With Brain-Eating Amoeba

Zachary Reyna will be taken off life-support after days of no brain activity

(Newser) - Zachary Reyna, the 12-year-old Florida boy who was battling a brain-eating amoeba , has "passed," according to his family, and will be taken off life support later today. Reyna has shown negative brain activity for days, but is being kept on a ventilator so his organs can be donated,... More »

Brain-Eating Amoeba Victim Gives Doctors Thumbs Up

Kali Hardig is recovering from infection in Arkansas

(Newser) - An Arkansas girl infected with a brain-eating amoeba is getting better and may be the third person ever to survive the experience, NBC News reports. Kali Hardig, 12, was infected with the amoeba after swimming in a Little Rock, Ark., lake last month. Luckily, her mother saw she was badly... More »

2nd Child Battling 'Brain-Eating' Amoeba

Zachary Reyna was likely infected while kneeboarding with friends

(Newser) - A second 12-year-old is now battling a brain-eating parasite in the Southeast. NBC2 reports that Zachary Reyna was likely infected by Naegleria fowleri, a microscopic amoeba that gets to the brain through the nose, while kneeboarding with friends in a ditch in LaBelle, Florida, on Aug. 3. The amoeba lurks... More »

Girl, 12, Battles Brain-Eating Amoeba After Lake Swim

Kali Hardig in critical condition in Arkansas

(Newser) - Kali Hardig, 12, went swimming in a Little Rock, Ark., lake earlier this month—and, in a nightmare scenario, she's now battling a brain-eating parasite . Naegleria fowleri is a microscopic amoeba that gets to the brain through the nose, typically infecting people who go swimming in freshwater, CNN reports.... More »

3rd Death Linked to Brain-Eating Amoeba

No swimming involved in this one

(Newser) - And yesterday's terrifying brain-eating amoeba story gets more terrifying: A third death from earlier this year has been linked to the amoeba. A 20-something in Louisiana died in June after using tap water in a neti pot, a small container used to rinse out the nose and sinuses. He... More »

Brain-Eating Amoeba Kills Second Child

Rare parasite found in stagnant freshwater

(Newser) - The waterborne parasite known as the "brain-eating amoeba" is as bad as it sounds and it has caused the deaths of at least two young people this month. The rare but extremely deadly parasite that causes amoebic meningoencephalitis, an infection that attacks the brain and spine, can be found... More »

6 Die From Brain-Eating Amoeba

Global warming may make cases more common

(Newser) - It's an ominous name—Naegleria fowleri. And it's a more ominous creature, a waterborne amoeba that enters a swimmer's nose, latches onto the olfactory nerve, and travels to the brain, where it feeds until its victim dies. A 14-year-old Arizona boy died this month from Naegleria—one of six US... More »

15 Stories

AROUND THE WEB