NEWS ABOUT: fire

Stories 1 - 20 |  Next >>

4-Year-Old Brother, Sister Killed After Playing With Fire

Authorities say half-siblings accidentally set basement blaze

(Newser) - A basement blaze that killed 4-year-old half-siblings was accidentally set by children playing with fire, authorities said yesterday. The twin of one of the children survived the blaze that was reported to authorities just before midnight Saturday in a two-story brick home in the Far Rockaway section of Queens. Authorities... More »

Couple Says 'I Do,' Venue Bursts Into Flames

But everybody gets out safely

(Newser) - Authorities say a three-alarm fire broke out at a wedding outside Boston just after the bride and groom were pronounced husband and wife. Flames broke through the roof of the historic Lakeview Pavilion in Foxborough last night, destroying it. The fire was knocked down hours after it started. Justice of... More »

2 Firefighters Dead in Boston

They died battling huge fire at four-story brownstone

(Newser) - Two Boston firefighters are dead and more than a dozen more people were hospitalized after a fire broke out at a four-story brownstone this afternoon, reports CBS Boston . City Councilor Josh Zakim, who represents Boston's densely populated Back Bay neighborhood, confirmed the two deaths. No details were available about... More »

San Francisco Battles 5-Alarm Fire

Huge effort saves nearby buildings

(Newser) - Hundreds of nearby residents were evacuated from their homes last night as half of San Francisco's firefighters battled the city's biggest blaze in years. Some 90 fire trucks were called to the scene after a high-rise apartment building still under construction caught fire around 5pm yesterday, reports the... More »

Bird Starts Fire With Cigarette

It carried smoldering butt to roof of London building

(Newser) - Fires started by carelessly discarded cigarettes are nothing new to the London Fire Brigade—but the culprits are usually people, not birds. Investigators were initially baffled by a fire on the roof of a building in south London, but they eventually concluded that it had been started by a lit... More »

Couple Hospitalized Trying to Save TV in Fire

They didn't get the television, only smoke inhalation

(Newser) - It can be heroic when someone braves a fire to save a loved one. It's a different word when that "loved one" is a television. A 40-something couple in St. Paul ended up hospitalized for smoke inhalation after they, yes, tried in vain to disconnect their beloved flat-screen... More »

Chevron: Fracking Blast? Uh, Here's a Pizza for That

Residents get coupons as compensation for blast

(Newser) - Nothing like a little pizza to take the edge off ... a fracking explosion. Residents of rural Bobtown, Pennsylvania, were rocked by a fracking blast last week that sparked a five-day fire and apparently killed one rig worker, Gizmodo reports. But just days later, Chevron—which owns the fracking site—sent... More »

Boy Sets Himself on Fire in School Cafeteria

16-year-old refused to explain suicide attempt in online note

(Newser) - Horror in Colorado: A student walked into his high school's cafeteria today, doused himself in oil, and set himself on fire, burning 80% of his body and leaving people grasping for answers, NBC 9 Colorado reports. The 16-year-old, whose name was withheld, is now hospitalized in critical condition. He... More »

Grim Search at Burned-Out Seniors' Home Buried in Ice

Cig may have caused fire that killed dozens

(Newser) - Work crews have resumed the grim task of searching for ice-covered bodies in the wreckage of a seniors' residence in Quebec, where a blaze is believed to have killed more than 30 people . Search teams working in bitter weather conditions are using hot air to melt more than 20 inches... More »

Firefighters Saw Seniors in Home, Couldn't Save Them

Fast-moving blaze trapped residents of Canada facility

(Newser) - A fire raged through a seniors' home in eastern Quebec yesterday, trapping residents dependent on wheelchairs and walkers. Five died, about 30 were missing and Canada's prime minister said there is little doubt the death toll will be high: Officials said firefighters saw and heard people in the building... More »

Parrot Saves Sleeping Couple From Fire

Pearly woke up his human pals in the middle of the night

(Newser) - NBC Miami has a tale of a hero parrot credited with saving the lives of a Fort Lauderdale couple who were sound asleep during a house fire. "What we heard was a screeching like we've never heard before," Laurajean Niesel tells the Sun-Sentinel . "We thought... More »

Explosion, Fire Injure 13 in Minneapolis

6 injured critically

(Newser) - A billowing fire engulfed a three-story building near downtown Minneapolis this morning, sending 13 people to hospitals with injuries ranging from burns to trauma associated with falls. Officials said six of those injuries were critical, but no fatalities were reported. An explosion was reported about 8:15am, and within minutes... More »

Christmas Fire Kills 3 Siblings in Louisiana

10 family members, including 6 kids, escaped with minor injuries

(Newser) - It was a Christmas morning that nightmares are made of: A fire ripped through a mobile home in Louisiana in the early hours yesterday, killing three siblings and landing their parents in a hospital burn unit, WDSU reports. The fire started in the kitchen and living area where four children,... More »

Man Sets Self Ablaze at Vatican

Now in hospital with 'serious burns,' condition 'grave'

(Newser) - A man is in "grave" condition after he doused himself in gasoline and set himself on fire in St. Peter's Square today around 8:30am local time, ANSA reports. The 51-year-old man was treated at a nearby hospital, then transferred to a larger one, with serious burns to... More »

Man Ablaze Runs Into Church, Pastor Dies in Fire

Not clear how John Sterner became engulfed in flames

(Newser) - An awful story out of Ocean City, Maryland, last week, where a man who was engulfed in flames ran into a church, set it on fire, and ended up dead along with the church's pastor. Investigators think John Sterner, 56, was for some reason covered in a flammable substance,... More »

Stoned Ghost Hunters Torch Historic Mansion

Cops say trespassers got frustrated over no-show spirits

(Newser) - The owners of an abandoned Louisiana mansion are facing criticism after the house was burned down last week, allegedly by stoned ghost hunters, the Times-Picayune reports. "We made our best efforts to secure the land from trespassers," say the owners of the LeBeau Plantation near New Orleans. "... More »

America Has a Major Arson Problem

Arsons are happening, but we're not reporting them to feds: investigation

(Newser) - America's arson records are a total mess, per a year-long Scripps National Investigation that sums up its findings with this statement: "three-fourths of the arsons ... went unreported [to the federal government], masking a major threat to public safety." Scripps went inside the world of arson, digging into... More »

Video Shows Man Setting Wife on Fire

He used lighter to spark gas station explosion: police

(Newser) - A Georgia man is facing criminal charges after shocking surveillance footage surfaced of a gas station explosion. Police say Austin Dawkins sparked a lighter, starting a fire. But the graphic video shows he then pulled the nozzle out of the truck, pointed it as his wife, and pulled the trigger.... More »

After Power Is Cut, Candle Starts Fire That Kills 3 Boys

Bronx tragedy claims lives of young brothers

(Newser) - That three young brothers were killed last night during a house fire in the Bronx is tragedy enough. But then comes this detail from authorities: The power company had shut off electricity only a few days before, and the boys' 25-year-old mother started using candles around the house, reports the... More »

Man Braves House Fire to Rescue ... His Beer

Later, he admits this was not a good idea

(Newser) - In the what-definitely-not-to-do-when-your-house-is-on-fire department: Rush back in to save your beer. That's what Walter Serpit of Columbus, Ga., tells WTVM he did when the flames came.
  • "I told them to get the kids out and everything, and me myself, being an alcoholic, I was trying to get my
... More »

Stories 1 - 20 |  Next >>

NEWS FROM OUR PARTNERS
Other Sites We Like:   The Street   |   24/7 Wall St.   |   BuzzFeed   |   Cracked   |   World History Project   |   POPSUGAR Tech   |   Business Insider   |   HuffPost Entertainment