terrorist attack

Stories 1 - 20 |  Next >>

NYC Bombing Suspect Came to US in 2011

Akayed Ullah carried bomb on 55-minute subway ride

(Newser) - The man accused of detonating a bomb in a subway corridor near Times Square Monday morning carried the device strapped to himself on a 55-minute subway ride from his Brooklyn home, law enforcement officials say. Akayed Ullah, who came to the US from Bangladesh in 2011, injured himself and three... More »

Scope of Attack in Egypt Just Keeps Getting Worse

More than 300 dead in mosque assault by up to 30 extremists

(Newser) - Egypt on Saturday said an attack on a mosque by militants in the country's troubled region of northern Sinai has killed 305 worshipers, including 27 children, a dramatic increase in the death toll previously announced, which was 235. A statement by the country's chief prosecutor, Nabil Sadeq, said... More »

Parents Plan to Sue NYC Over 'Preventable' Terror Death

City failed to secure bike path, lawyer says

(Newser) - The parents of one of eight people killed in New York City's deadliest terrorist attack since 9/11 are planning to sue the city and three agencies for "gross negligence" that put their son at risk. Rosemarie Arnold, an attorney for the parents of 32-year-old Darren Drake, filed a... More »

Neighbor Noticed Something Suspicious About NYC Suspect

He says Sayfullo Saipov drove around in a Home Depot truck that was empty

(Newser) - Court papers filed against New York City terror suspect Sayfullo Saipov Wednesday stated that he asked for an ISIS flag in his hospital room —news that outraged President Trump, among others. "NYC terrorist was happy as he asked to hang ISIS flag in his hospital room," Trump... More »

Alleged NYC Attacker Wanted ISIS Flag in Hospital Room: FBI

Sayfullo Saipov charged Wednesday in New York City

(Newser) - Despite President Trump's talk of a military trial , Sayfullo Saipov was charged Wednesday in a civilian court in New York City, the New York Times reports. Prosecutors say the 29-year-old drove a rented Home Depot truck down a bicycle and pedestrian path Tuesday, killing eight people. According to USA... More »

NYC Attack Suspect Was Questioned by Feds in 2015

Trump is considering sending 'animal' Sayfullo Saipov to Guantanamo

(Newser) - President Trump says he may send Sayfullo Saipov, the 29-year-old who allegedly killed eight people Tuesday in New York City, to Guantanamo Bay as the first step in getting "much tougher" on terror suspects, the Washington Post reports. The president called Saipov, who arrived in the US from Uzbekistan... More »

5 Friends on Dream Trip to NYC Among Victims of Attack

Group from Argentina was celebrating 30th anniversary of graduation

(Newser) - Five of the eight people killed in what authorities believe was an ISIS-inspired terrorist attack in Manhattan Tuesday were friends visiting the city to celebrate the 30th anniversary of graduating from high school in Argentina. Authorities say the five men from Rosario, all in their late 40s, were riding bikes... More »

Cops: NYC Attacker Is Uber Driver Who Gave 1,400 Rides

Sayfullo Saipov came to US in 2010

(Newser) - The man who killed eight people Thursday in what's believed to be New York City's deadliest terror attack since 9/11 has been identified as Sayfullo Saipov, an Uber driver who came to the US from Afghanistan in 2010. The 29-year-old, who was shot by police but survived after... More »

Would-Be Airport Bomber ID'd by Love of Discounts: Cops

Michael Estes allegedly left improvised explosive inside North Carolina airport

(Newser) - The glass mason jar found Oct. 6 inside Asheville Regional Airport in North Carolina held ammonium nitrate and nails, NPR reports. According to WLOS , it also held a shotgun cartridge and was equipped with matches and an alarm clock set for 6am. Authorities say the man who allegedly left the... More »

Alleged ISIS-Inspired Plot Against NYC Revealed

The alleged plot was foiled by the FBI in 2016

(Newser) - An alleged plot to attack New York City—detonating bombs in Times Square and the subway system while shooting civilians at concert venues—in the summer of 2016 "in the name of ISIS" was stopped by the FBI, according to newly unsealed records. "Three men allegedly plotted to... More »

Arrest Made in Hunt for London Attack Suspects

Threat level still at critical after 'significant arrest'

(Newser) - British police have made a "significant" arrest in the urgent manhunt for suspects a day after the London subway blast that injured more than two dozen people, authorities say. Police say that an 18-year-old man was arrested by Kent police Saturday in the port of Dover on the English... More »

2nd Man Arrested in Sword Attack at Buckingham Palace

30-year-old detained in London on suspicion of involvement in terrorism

(Newser) - Police detectives on Sunday arrested a second man in London in connection with what they called a terrorist incident near Buckingham Palace , when a man drove up to a police van then reached for a 4-foot sword. Three police officers were slightly injured Friday night as they confronted a 26-year-old... More »

Barcelona Suspect: We Planned to Blow Up Church, Other Sites

Terror group's mission was partly foiled when Alcanar bomb-making 'factory' blew up

(Newser) - The suspected driver of the van that rammed into crowds in Barcelona is now dead , but details are still emerging about last week's carnage that left 15 dead in two attacks and injured more than 130. The newest development, per the Guardian : A 21-year-old suspect in custody told a... More »

800 Checkpoints After Barcelona, One Man Still at Large

Radical imam suspected of leading terror cell that carried out attack

(Newser) - The net has widened in the search for Younes Abouyaaqoub, the Moroccan national now believed to have been the van driver in Thursday's terrorist attack in Barcelona . Officials say that despite 800 police checkpoints in the region, the 22-year-old remains at large and may have fled to another European... More »

American in Barcelona for 1st Anniversary Is Missing

Wife says pair were separated moments before attack

(Newser) - The State Department has confirmed one American was injured in the Barcelona terror attack Thursday, reports ABC News , while NBC Los Angeles reports a California woman is frantically searching for her husband; it's unclear if he might be that individual. Heidi Nunes-Tucker (her last name has also been reported... More »

Barcelona Victims Came From 24 Countries

Van driver 'pinned as many people as he could'

(Newser) - Thursday's horrific terrorist attack in Barcelona's Las Ramblas tourist district was in some ways an attack on the world: Authorities say citizens of no fewer than 24 countries were among the victims of the attack, which killed 13 people and injured more than 100. One of the dead... More »

Police: 5 Suspects Killed After 2nd Attack in Spain

Attacker drove into pedestrians in Cambrils

(Newser) - Police in Spain say they killed five terror suspects Thursday night during a second terrorist attack hours after a van plowed into pedestrians in Barcelona, killing 13 people and injuring more 100. Police have released few details on the suspects killed in the town of Cambrils, south of Barcelona, though... More »

18 Killed in Extremist Attack on Burkina Faso Restaurant

Armed attackers arrived on motorcycles

(Newser) - Suspected Islamic extremists opened fire at a Turkish restaurant in the capital of Burkina Faso late Sunday, killing at least 18 people in the second such attack on a restaurant popular with foreigners in the last two years. There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the violence, which continued... More »

'Nearly Unprecedented' Move for Clint Eastwood's Next Film

Director casts real-life heroes who stopped 2015 Paris train attack to play themselves

(Newser) - Clint Eastwood's Sully was called "electrifying," and the next movie on his directing roster is promising to be another heart-stopper—and headline-grabbing, thanks to an unusual move he made in casting it. The upcoming film is called The 15:17 to Paris, which documents the 2015 terrorist... More »

FBI: Flint Airport Attacker 'Has a Hatred for the US'

Canada condemns 'cowardly' attack

(Newser) - "Suffice to say, he had a hatred of the United States," Detroit FBI chief David Gelios says of Canadian citizen Amor Ftouhi, who is accused of stabbing a police officer in a suspected terrorist attack at Flint, Michigan's airport. Ftouhi, a 49-year-old Montreal resident, has been charged... More »

Stories 1 - 20 |  Next >>

AROUND THE WEB