Duke of Edinburgh

11 Stories

Queen's Chef Sacked After Palace Head-Butt

One of Prince Philip's preferred cooks allegedly fought with colleague

(Newser) - Bad news for Prince Philip: one of his favorite cooks has been fired. The sacking of Adam Steele, 28, came after his arrest for allegedly head-butting a Buckingham Palace colleague during a gathering in the staff's living area, the Daily Mail reports. "No one knows what exactly was... More »

More Health Woes for Queen's Hubby

Duke to stay in hospital up to 2 weeks after 'exploratory operation'

(Newser) - It's probably not the birthday he was hoping for: Prince Philip will turn 92 in the hospital on Monday following his admission yesterday to the London Clinic for an "exploratory operation following abdominal investigations," Buckingham Palace said in a somewhat vague statement. Though it's not clear... More »

Prince Philip Leaves Hospital After Treatment

Third visit in 8 months

(Newser) - Britain's Prince Philip left a Scottish hospital today after five days of treatment for a bladder infection. The 91-year-old husband of Queen Elizabeth II was hospitalized Wednesday with a recurrence of an infection he suffered earlier this summer. Buckingham Palace said Philip was returning to the nearby Balmoral estate,... More »

Dog Walker Finds Human Remains on Royal Estate

Forensic experts scour woodland for evidence

(Newser) - A dog walker discovered human remains yesterday less than two miles from the Queen's residence on a British royal estate, police say. Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh, who are staying at the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk for a Christmas holiday, were told about the discovery after... More »

Prince Philip Leaves Hospital

90-year-old rejoining family at Sandringham

(Newser) - Britain's Prince Philip left the hospital this morning after a four-night stay for heart surgery that saw him miss Christmas , reports the Mirror . The 90-year-old Duke of Edinburgh waved to media gathered outside Papworth Hospital, and appeared to be in good spirits. Philip was headed by car for the... More »

Duke Defends Chinese Slur

'The Chinese weren't worried about it, so why should anyone else?'

(Newser) - It's been 25 years since the Duke of Edinburgh used the term "slitty-eyed" during a trip to China, but the Queen's husband still thinks it was no big deal, reports the Telegraph . “I'd forgotten about it," the Duke says in a documentary made for... More »

Toronto Loses Power During Queen's Visit

Outage may cancel or delay scheduled state dinner

(Newser) - A power outage struck late this afternoon in Toronto, where Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip are visiting at the end of a 9-day swing through Canada. The prince was at a downtown hotel when the lights went out and gamely presented the Duke of Edinburgh Awards for community service to... More »

Duke Seeking More Privacy for British Royals

Legal challenge aims to set boundaries for 'public interest'

(Newser) - The Duke of Edinburgh is using a recent ruling by Britain’s High Court—one that sided against the press in the unfortunate Max Mosley Nazi sex scandal—as the basis for a legal challenge to win more privacy for the royal family, the Daily Telegraph reports. Prince Philip is... More »

Prince Philip Hospitalized

Queen's husband is being 'assessed and treated' for chest infection

(Newser) - Prince Philip has been hospitalized with a chest infection, Buckingham Palace announced today. Queen Elizabeth’s husband, 86, walked into the hospital unaided and was able to sit up in bed and write, the Times of London reports. Using his formal title, a palace spokeswoman said: "The Duke of... More »

Diana Coroner Dismisses Conspiracy

Duke of Edinburgh, British intelligence not to blame for Princess' death

(Newser) - Diana wasn't the victim of a murder plot, her coroner told an inquest jury today after six months of testimony. Lord Justice Scott Baker told jurors to decide either that the Princess and Dodi died in an accident, or as result of gross negligence—her driver's or the paparazzi's. But... More »

Former UK Intel Boss Refutes Diana Charges

He says agents didn't kill princess, calls allegations absurd

(Newser) - In uncharacteristic public statements, the former head of British intelligence service MI6 denied during a court appearance today that agents were behind Princess Diana's 1997 death, the Telegraph reports. While Sir Richard Dearlove—known as "C" during his 1999-2004 tenure as agency boss—admitted MI6 can authorize assassinations, he... More »

11 Stories

AROUND THE WEB