overdose

Stories 1 - 20 |  Next >>

Friend Who Found Bobbi Kristina Suffers Similar Fate

Max Lomas is dead from overdose, reports TMZ

(Newser) - The friend who found Bobbi Kristina Brown face-down in a bathtub after an overdose has suffered a similar death himself, reports TMZ . Max Lomas was found unresponsive on the floor of a friend's bathroom in Mississippi with a syringe nearby and died at the hospital, according to the website.... More »

In a Burger King Bathroom, a Newborn Defies Odds

Infant born in toilet expected to be OK as mother heads to rehab

(Newser) - A 26-year-old Ohio woman is heading to drug rehab in the hope of securing custody of her week-old son, born in the toilet of a Burger King bathroom stall. Authorities responding to a report of a man passed out behind the wheel of a running car say they found Zachary... More »

Cops: He Left Meth on a Plate. Then Son, 8, Sought Breakfast

Boy died of overdose after suffering for hours: police

(Newser) - A hungry 8-year-old ingested crystal meth, perhaps thinking it was cereal, and died as his father refused to seek help, police say. Curtis Collman III died June 21 in Crothersville, Ind., with 180 times the lethal dose of methamphetamine in his system, reports BuzzFeed . Court documents show Curtis had awoken... More »

Demi Lovato Breaks Silence After Overdose

'I will keep fighting,' she tells fans

(Newser) - Almost two weeks after she was rushed to the hospital following an apparent overdose , Demi Lovato broke her silence with an emotional Instagram post Sunday. "I have always been transparent about my journey with addiction," she wrote. "What I've learned is that this illness is not... More »

Cop: Police Chief Who OD'd Took Drugs From Evidence Room

Neighboring police agency says James Hughes Jr. lifted drugs from evidence room

(Newser) - An Ohio police chief died in May , and an autopsy released last month said he died from "acute intoxication by fentanyl." Now officials say they think they know how James Hughes Jr. got his hands on the deadly drug: They believe he took it from the Kirkersville Police... More »

Demi Lovato 'Awake, Talking' After Apparent OD

She's with family members, rep says 'some of the information being reported is incorrect'

(Newser) - Demi Lovato is awake in the hospital and talking to family members, a rep said Tuesday after reports the singer had been hospitalized for an apparent overdose . The family "want to express thanks to everyone for the love, prayers, and support," the rep said, per the AP . "... More »

TMZ: Demi Lovato Overdoses

Sources say she was treated with Narcan, rushed to hospital

(Newser) - Demi Lovato was rushed to the hospital after apparently overdosing on heroin Tuesday morning, law enforcement sources tell TMZ . The sources say Lovato was treated with Narcan, an emergency treatment for narcotic overdoses, at her Hollywood Hills home before being transported to a Los Angeles hospital. The Los Angeles Fire... More »

Son of Greek Billionaire Dead in US. Fentanyl Is Blamed

Socrates S. Kokkalis, 34, was found in Cleveland hotel

(Newser) - The youngest son of a Greek billionaire has died in Ohio of a suspected overdose involving fentanyl. Socrates S. Kokkalis, 34, was found in Cleveland's downtown Marriott Hotel around 2:45pm Saturday, about 12 hours after he's believed to have died. Though an official cause of death is... More »

Heather Locklear Hospitalized Hours After Release From Jail

Emergency services were called about an overdose

(Newser) - Heather Locklear is getting help after emergency services were called to her home for the second time in less than 24 hours. TMZ reports that the 56-year-old actress was rushed to the hospital from her Thousand Oaks, Calif., home after somebody called to report an overdose. Locklear was arrested Sunday... More »

Prince Heirs Blame Hospital, Pharmacists for Death

Lawsuit claims overdose wasn't properly treated

(Newser) - Prince's heirs have sued Walgreens and the Illinois hospital that treated the music superstar after he suffered from an opioid overdose, alleging that a doctor and various pharmacists failed to provide Prince with reasonable care, contributing to his death. The wrongful-death lawsuit alleges a doctor and pharmacist at Trinity... More »

'Lifesaving' Item the Surgeon General Wants Us to Carry

Jerome Adams wants more Americans to keep naloxone on hand to prevent fatal overdoses

(Newser) - The US' chief doctor wants more Americans to carry the overdose antidote naloxone to help combat the nation's opioid crisis and save lives. US Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams was to speak about the new public health advisory Thursday at the National Rx Drug Abuse & Heroin Summit in... More »

Report: Prince Had 'Exceedingly High' Level of Drug in His System

Experts say it is obvious that fentanyl killed him

(Newser) - A toxicology report from Prince's autopsy obtained Monday by the AP shows he had what multiple experts called an "exceedingly high" concentration of fentanyl in his body when he died. Prince was 57 when he was found alone and unresponsive in an elevator at his Paisley Park estate... More »

CDC Head on Opioid Report: 'This Is a Wake-Up Call'

ER overdoses up 30% across the US

(Newser) - America's opioid epidemic is getting worse, not better, according to an alarming new report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The Tuesday report shows opioid overdoses that led to emergency room visits across the country jumped 30% from July 2016 to September 2017. In the Midwest, overdoses... More »

The 'Secondary Victims' of Adults' Opioid Addiction: Kids

More children, teens ending up in hospital from overdoses

(Newser) - Opioid poisonings and overdoses are sending increasing numbers of US children and teens to the hospital, according to a study showing a substantial rise in young patients needing critical care. The study, published Monday in Pediatrics, included accidental poisonings along with overdoses from intentional use, per the AP . Prescription painkillers... More »

Tom Petty's Family Reveals Rocker's Cause of Death

Accidental drug overdose

(Newser) - Tom Petty's family says his death last year was due to an accidental drug overdose, the AP reports. His wife and daughter released the results of Petty's autopsy via a statement on his Facebook page Friday night. Dana and Adria Petty say they got the results from the... More »

A Mystery Powder Arrived in the Mail. It Almost Killed 9

Backpackers hospitalized Tuesday in Australia in state of 'agitated delirium'

(Newser) - Nine backpackers from four countries were sent to hospitals in Australia this week, including at least three who were on life support Wednesday, after snorting a white powder sent through the mail. Seven men and two women, ages 21 to 25, snorted a white powder they assumed was cocaine around... More »

Docs Behind '1st Fatal Marijuana Overdose' Report Say Chill

They 'are absolutely not saying that marijuana killed' an 11-month-old child

(Newser) - The Colorado doctors behind those reports of the first documented fatal marijuana overdose would like everyone to please chill out. Dr. Thomas Nappe tells the Washington Post they "are absolutely not saying that marijuana killed" an 11-month-old child two years ago. Nappe says he's disappointed news reports have... More »

Doctors Claim 1st Documented Fatal Marijuana Overdose

In an 11-month-old child who died in 2015

(Newser) - (The doctors involved in this study have since denied calling this case a definitive marijuana overdose; update here . Original report follows.) In news that could change what we thought we knew about marijuana, as well as alter the progress of marijuana legalization, two doctors in Colorado say they've... More »

Lil Peep, 'Emo' Rapper With Cult Following, Dead at 21

Sources say up and coming star may have overdosed

(Newser) - Rapper Lil Peep has died at age 21, the AP reports. A representative for the performer confirmed reports of his death Thursday. Lil Peep, whose real name was Gustav Ahr and whose stage name came from a childhood nickname his mother gave him, didn't take the stage during his... More »

Death of Eric Bolling's Son Wasn't a Suicide

Former Fox host says opioids were involved

(Newser) - Former Fox host Eric Bolling says his 19-year-old son died not from suicide, but from what has become the leading cause of death in Americans under 50: a drug overdose. Eric Chase Bolling, the only child of Eric and Adrienne Bolling, was found dead at the University of Colorado, Boulder... More »

Stories 1 - 20 |  Next >>

AROUND THE WEB