allergies

Stories 1 - 20 |  Next >>

Coroner Doles Out Blame in Death of Girl Who Ate Baguette

He found Pret a Manger's labeling inadequate

(Newser) - The 15-year-old who died after eating an artichoke, olive, and tapenade baguette from the Pret a Manger sandwich shop at London's Heathrow Airport died because a key ingredient was not listed. The coroner in the case calls the allergy labeling inadequate, saying Natasha Ednan-Laperouse was "reassured" by the... More »

New EpiPen Competitor Approved by FDA

Generic alternative should hit the market soon

(Newser) - Parents of children with serious allergies may soon get some relief when shelling out for a epinephrine auto-injector. The FDA has approved a generic alternative to Mylan Pharmaceuticals' widely used EpiPen and EpiPen Jr., reports CNN . While other name-brand injectors exist, this one, produced by Teva, is the first approved... More »

Parents Are Miffed About One Scene in Peter Rabbit

It shows bunnies pelting a human with food allergies with the food he's allergic to

(Newser) - If you're wondering why there's a hashtag to boycott a new children's movie, ask parents of kids with allergies. The BBC reports on the pushback against Sony Pictures' Peter Rabbit, which includes a scene in which Mr. McGregor, who's allergic to blackberries, gets the fruit hurled... More »

Teens Face Felony Charges Over Tainted High-Five

14-year-old charged after December incident involving pineapple

(Newser) - It's a high-five at lunch that led to a felony charge. The Butler Eagle reports that police say a western Pennsylvania 14-year-old slapped the hand of her classmate in mid December, exposing her to pineapple in the process. Said classmate is severely allergic to pineapple—so much so that... More »

Pregnant? Reading This May Sour You on Sugar

Study sees link between high sugar intake, kids' allergies

(Newser) - Pregnant women already have an exhaustive list of foods they’re told to limit or avoid. But a new longitudinal study might make that list longer. Time reports that research published in the European Respiratory Journal found a link between higher added sugar intake during pregnancy and a child's... More »

Parents Livid Over Frat's Peanut Butter 'Joke' on Son

Incident at Central Michigan University under investigation

(Newser) - A student who smeared peanut butter on an unconscious freshman's face calls it "a joke." The freshman's parents call it hazing that could have turned deadly because the 19-year-old has a severe allergy to peanuts. The pictures Teresa Seely posted on Facebook Tuesday show her son... More »

FDA Bans Its Second Medical Device Ever

Powdered medical gloves have long been associated with allergies, inflammation

(Newser) - The Food and Drug Administration has banned only the second medical device ever, and it's sort of an unlikely one: powdered medical gloves. Powder has for decades been added to (now a small minority) of latex medical gloves to help healthcare workers put them on and remove them more... More »

Peanut Allergy Skin Patch Looks Promising in First Trial

It was particularly effective in younger kids

(Newser) - Peanut allergies are on the rise, and some are so severe as to result in anaphylaxis (often causing swelling, vomiting, and a drop in blood pressure) and death, reports the Mayo Clinic . Even without harmful exposures, constant vigilance can be stressful, but treatments don't yet exist—while research suggests... More »

Mylan Caves a Bit More With Generic EpiPen

2-pack will list for $300

(Newser) - Relief is coming: In what Bloomberg notes is Mylan's second move after an explosion of criticism over the price of its EpiPens, the company on Monday announced it will start selling a cheaper version. The drugmaker says it will make available in the next several weeks a generic EpiPen... More »

EpiPen Execs Got Huge Raises After Price Hikes

CEO Heather Bresch's pay went from $2M to $19M

(Newser) - Makers of the EpiPen gave themselves fat raises as they were jacking up the cost of the life-saving device, NBC News reports. Mylan CEO Heather Bresch saw her salary leap to $18.9 million from $2.4 million—a 671% increase—from 2007 to 2015. That was same period during... More »

Drugmaker Has Jacked EpiPen's Cost by Nearly 500%

Mylan is taking heat for now-expensive life-saving allergy device

(Newser) - It's the size of a marker and as common as Band-Aids in a school nurse's office. EpiPen, a device that delivers a dose of epinephrine that can stop an extreme allergic reaction, has been credited with saving the lives of children for whom a peanut or a bee... More »

People Allergic to the World Flock to Snowflake, Arizona

Snowflake is safe haven for those with 'environmental illness'

(Newser) - Named in the 1870s after Mormon pioneers Erastus Snow and William Jordan Flake, the small town of Snowflake, Ariz., has become not just an etymological contradiction but, more recently, something of a safe haven for people afflicted with what they call "environmental illness." Residents on the outskirts of... More »

Go Ahead, Suck Your Thumb

Study finds kids who do have fewer allergies

(Newser) - Kids who suck their thumbs or bite their nails past preschool age may drive their parents crazy, but at least the habits appear to incur a health benefit: a reduced risk of allergies. So report researchers in a new study showing that the protective effect lasts into adulthood. Their findings... More »

Soaring EpiPen Prices Put the Allergic in a Dangerous Spot

Many are turning to syringes, which are cheaper but difficult to use safely

(Newser) - More and more people with severe allergies are foregoing life-saving EpiPens as prices skyrocket, Stat reports. Since 2004, the price of EpiPens has risen by 450%. According to WISC , they're $170 more expensive than they were just six months ago—figure about $600 for a two-pack. “They cost... More »

Woman Dies After Kissing Boyfriend Who Ate Peanut Butter Sandwich

Now her mom is speaking out

(Newser) - Four years ago, 20-year-old Myriam Ducre-Lemay died after kissing her boyfriend who had just eaten a peanut butter sandwich, CTV News reports. Now her mother, Micheline Ducre, is speaking out to keep the same thing from happening to anyone else's kids. After getting home from a party, Myriam's... More »

Man Inherits Sister's Kiwi Allergy in Most Unusual Way

Phenomenon, observed in bone marrow transplant patients, is now proven

(Newser) - When a leukemia patient received a bone marrow transplant from his sister, all went smoothly—until he bit into a kiwi fruit and his lips began to tingle and swell. Turns out the patient was suffering from the "oral allergic symptom" his sister had long endured, and now that... More »

Sex With Neanderthals May Explain Modern Allergies

But it probably also helped our ancestors stay alive

(Newser) - You may have to pump yourself full of Zyrtec just to step outside during allergy season because your ancestors couldn't keep their hands off those sexy Neanderthals, suggests two new studies in the American Journal of Human Genetics. Neanderthals and a second now-extinct hominid—Denisovans—were living in Europe... More »

No, Honey Won't Cure Your Allergies

Slate writer explains why the notion is wrong

(Newser) - Indulging in honey from a local beekeeper has much to recommend it—except for the misguided notion that it will cure your allergies, writes Rachel E. Gross at Slate . This widespread myth is rooted in the idea that because bees make honey out of pollen, consuming it in low doses... More »

After Blood Transfusion, Boy Allergic to Peanuts

And fish, in 'extremely rare' case

(Newser) - An 8-year-old boy in Canada never had any problems eating salmon or peanuts. Then, within just a few weeks of getting a blood transfusion as part of his treatment for brain cancer, he ate salmon and experienced a severe allergic reaction within 10 minutes. The same thing happened when he... More »

Family Sues Restaurant After Son Eats Pancakes, Dies

Teenager had a severe allergy to dairy

(Newser) - A family in Minnesota is suing a local restaurant after their son ate two pancakes there and died last June. They say that 16-year-old Scott Johnson, who was so allergic to dairy that trace amounts had sent him to the emergency room before and the family generally avoided dining out,... More »

Stories 1 - 20 |  Next >>

AROUND THE WEB