Guard Who Took Down Gunman: 'I'm No Hero'

Mike Jones says he'd been terrified he let school board down
By Kevin Spak,  Newser Staff
Posted Dec 16, 2010 2:10 PM CST
Guard Who Took Down Gunman: 'I'm No Hero'
In this image taken from video and released by WJHG-TV, Clay A. Duke points a hand gun at Bay City school board members and staff, Tuesday, Dec. 14, 2010.   (AP Photo/WJHG-TV)

(Newser) – When distraught ex-con Clay Duke took a school board meeting hostage on Tuesday, it was security guard Mike Jones who saved the day, shooting and wounding Duke, who then killed himself. But Jones says he was only doing his job. “I’m not a hero folks,” he said at a news conference today. Jones wept as he recounted the incident, according to Aol News.

Jones had been in the building only five minutes when he heard shots fired. “I thought I'd let them down,” he said. “I opened the door with one hand and was firing with the other. … I don’t know how I survived with all those shots fired.” Relatives of Duke, meanwhile, tell the Panama City News Herald that though the incident came as a shock, they’d seen signs Duke was unraveling. “The economy and the world just got the better of him,” his wife said. (Read more Clay Duke stories.)

We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
X
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.

X