The graphic photos have been making the rounds (if you've haven't seen them, and can stomach it, page through the gallery), as updates on the death of Moammar Gadhafi pour in. The news remains unconfirmed by US officials, but the AP reports that reaction from the White House and the UN secretary-general are expected shortly. Libyan Prime Minister Mahmoud Jibril confirms that Gadhafi has been killed, and Libyan leaders passed that confirmation on to US officials. More:
- The Telegraph reports that the soldier who claims to have found Gadhafi in a hole says the fallen leader cried, "Don't shoot! Don't shoot!"
- Sky News reports that graffiti already covers the drain where Gadhafi was reportedly found. It reads: "This is the place where the rat Gadhafi was hiding," and "Contemptible Gadhafi."
- Reports place Gadhafi's body in Misrata, having been taken there from Sirte. Al-Jazeera notes that an NTC official told Reuters that "Gadhafi's body is with our unit in a car and we are taking the body to a secret place for security reasons." According to al-Jazeera, that secret place is a mosque.
- The AFP has a photo of what it says is a man holding Gadhafi's golden gun.
- And finally, Newsweek and others have graphic video, reportedly of Gadhafi's body being kicked in the street.
(Read more Moammar Gadhafi