President Obama was palling around with Washington's one-percenters last night, cracking wise at the Alfalfa Club dinner for the first time since 2009, reports the Washington Post. The Alfalfa Club is the quintessential DC insider club, which exists pretty much for throwing an annual dinner, and guests had to brave Occupy DC to get their forks in their steak and lobster. A rundown of Obama's zingers and other highlights from the off-the-record, but "traditionally leaky" soiree:
- Obama on attending: “You’ve heard it from the pundits: ‘Obama is cloistered in the White House.’ ‘He’s aloof.’ ‘He’s in the bubble.’ ‘He’s not connecting.’ And that’s why one of my big goals this year was to get out and be among everyday, ordinary Americans—like the men and women of the Alfalfa Club.”
- On the State of the Union: The president joked that he had “about 45 more minutes on the State of the Union that I’d like to deliver tonight."
- On his career prospects: Obama said he had a “promising future—as an Al Green impersonator.”
- On the guests: “I’d like to acknowledge a very good friend of mine. Warren Buffett's secretary’s boss is in the house."
- And the nominee is... The Club's "other" purpose is to nominate a joke candidate for president, and this year the honors went to Jeb Bush, in town with a wheelchair-bound George HW Bush.
(Read more Alfalfa Club