Flesh-Eating Infection Claims Student's Leg

Deadly bacteria linked to zip-line injury on river trip
By Mary Papenfuss,  Newser Staff
Posted May 10, 2012 12:04 AM CDT
Flesh-Eating Infection Claims Student's Leg
Aimee Copeland, 24, is fighting for her life in a Georgia hospital.   (FirstRaceTv)

(Newser) – A Georgia college student has lost a leg to a flesh-eating infection after a zip-line injury. Aimee Copeland, a 24-year old master's student at the University of West Georgia, is fighting for her life after a homemade zip line cut into her calf during a kayaking trip in the state. "It's a miracle she made it" this far, her dad told WSB-TV. The necrotizing fasciitis from Aeromonas hydrophila is also in her abdomen. The potentially deadly bacteria is found in fresh water.

"The bacteria produce enzymes that can dissolve muscle deep down," said an infection expert. "It can be a sneaky infection that's not immediately appreciated by the patient." Copeland sought medical treatment several times, complaining of pain. Doctors finally realized what she was battling on her fourth visit seeking help, reports ABC News. (Read more necrotizing fasciitis stories.)

We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
X
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.

X