California Raids 9/11 Fund

Lawmakers, governors have used license plate cash for other purposes
By Kevin Spak,  Newser Staff
Posted May 29, 2012 5:54 PM CDT
California Raids 9/11 Fund
One of California's commemorative 'We Will Never Forget' license plates is seen in this file photo.   (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)

(Newser) – When you buy one of California's special 9/11 memorial license plates, which come emblazoned with the words "We Will Never Forget," you're told that 15% of the money will go to fund scholarships for the victims' children, and that the other 85% will go to fund counterterrorism efforts. But that's not what actually happens, an AP investigation has discovered. Instead, lawmakers and governors continually use the fund, which has collected $15 million so far, for their own ends.

story continues below

Governors Jerry Brown and Arnold Schwarzenegger used a combined $3 million to patch over the state's budget deficit, while legislators used millions more on issues like workplace safety and livestock diseases. Only a tiny fraction has gone to scholarships, and about 40% has gone to counterterror training. "I can't believe they would do that," says one plate holder. "We're paying extra for the plate, we're making a point, and it means a lot to us." The plates continue to bring in $1.5 million annually. (Read more California stories.)

We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.