Amazon: the evil empire? The Nation seems to think so, warning that Amazon is "well positioned to overpower its rivals" as publishers turn to digital books and the mega-site sells more Kindle books than hardcovers. The lefty mag lists 10 reasons not to do business with Amazon:
- Amazon avoids paying taxes. Amazon's tax rate is a shockingly low 3.5%, and what's more, the company gives paltry sums to charities.
- Amazon is monopolistic. As the world's biggest bookseller, Amazon has insisted on more discounts from distributors—but that's illegal under anti-trust law that forbids companies from selling the same product at different prices to different buyers.
- Amazon kills small businesses. Its practice of selling bestsellers at a loss means small bookstores can't compete.
- Amazon gathers your info. A class-action lawsuit has accused Amazon of dodging customer privacy settings, and critics say Kindle Fire's web browser could help Amazon track all our surfing.
- Amazon dissed Wikileaks. Facing political pressure, Amazon kicked Wikileaks off its cloud server two years ago.
Click for the whole list
. Or read about a small bookstore that outwitted Amazon
. (Read more Amazon