The rocker who may have been killed by a spider bite. The reality star who died while off-roading. The singer found dead and surrounded by rotting food and dog feces. Sometimes, the circumstances surrounding celebrity deaths are just plain strange, as in these seven examples, from a group of 17 rounded up by Radar:
- Marvin Gaye's own father shot in him 1984. Gaye was living with his parents at the time, and struggling with depression. He and his father had just argued over misplaced documents, and Gaye reportedly beat his father before being shot.
- Brandon Lee was accidentally shot on set for The Crow in 1993. It was reportedly caught on film, but destroyed.
- David Carradine was found hanging in a hotel room closet in 2009, and there were reports of autoerotic asphyxiation gone wrong.
Click to read about 10 eerie Hollywood deaths.
- Steve Irwin, the "Crocodile Hunter," was pierced in the chest by a sting ray spine in 2006, while snorkeling in Australia.
- Natalie Wood fell off a boat and drowned in 1981, but her cause of death was changed from "accident" to "undetermined" more than 30 years later.
- Phil Hartman's wife shot him, then herself, at their California home in 1998.
- Selena was shot by the president of her fan club in 1995. She was just 23.
(Read more celebrity death