Trayvon Martin's parents were not on hand to hear last night's not-guilty verdict in the George Zimmerman trial, but they took to Twitter soon afterward. Some samples of reaction from them and others who supported their son, rounded up by New York, the AP, and the Orlando Sentinel:
- Father Tracy Martin: "Even though I am broken hearted my faith is unshattered I WILL ALWAYS LOVE MY BABY TRAY" and "Thanks to everyone who are with us and who will be with us si we together can make sure that this doesn't happen again"
- Mother Sybrina Fulton: "Lord during my darkest hour I lean on you. You are all that I have. At the end of the day, GOD is still in control. Thank you all for your prayers and support. I will love you forever Trayvon!!! In the name of Jesus!!!"
- Brother Jahvaris Fulton: "Et tu, America?"
- Jesse Jackson: "Avoid violence, it will lead to more tragedies. Find a way for self construction not deconstruction in this time of despair. #ZimmermanTrial."
- Al Sharpton: "The acquittal of George Zimmerman is a slap in the face to the American people, but it is only the first round in the pursuit of justice. We intend to ask the Department of Justice to move forward as they did in the Rodney King case and we will closely monitor the civil case against Mr. Zimmerman. ..."
(Read more George Zimmerman trial