After giving tonight's Emmy Awards host Neil Patrick Harris some really excellent award show advice, Tina Fey and Amy Poehler took the stage to present the first award: Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series went to Nurse Jackie's Merritt Wever, who gave perhaps the best acceptance speech ever (watch it here). More awards and highlights:
- Writing, Comedy Series: Tina Fey and Tracey Wigfield, 30 Rock
- Supporting Actor, Comedy Series: Tony Hale, Veep
- Next up was Robin Williams, offering a tribute to Jonathan Winters, who died earlier this year.
- Lead Actress, Comedy Series: Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep (who accepted her award as Tony Hale stood behind her, holding her purse)
- Awards for Guest Actor and Actress in a Comedy Series had already been given out, but we had to hear about them anyway: Melissa Leo and Bob Newhart won.
- Directing, Comedy Series: Gail Mancuso, Modern Family
- Lead Actor, Comedy Series: Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory
- Rob Reiner's turn to offer a tribute, this one to Jean Stapleton, who played his mother-in-law on All in the Family
- And now, in case you're feeling nostalgic for the Grammys, a performance by Elton John. It's his song, "Home Again," done as a tribute to Liberace.
- Lead Actress, Miniseries or Movie: Laura Linney, The Big C: Hereafter
- Finally, NPH does a little bit of singing and dancing, in a skit starring his How I Met Your Mother co-stars ... and Arsenio Hall. The joke? NPH's "Excessive Hosting Disorder."
- Writing, Drama Series: Henry Bromell, Homeland
- Supporting Actress, Drama Series: Anna Gunn, Breaking Bad
- Another tribute, this time Jane Lynch remembering Cory Monteith.
- And then a real musical number from NPH, who uses the opportunity to remind us the show is only halfway over. (The song is called "The Number in the Middle of the Show.")
- Outstanding Reality Competition Program: The Voice
- Supporting Actor, Drama Series: Bobby Cannavale, Boardwalk Empire
- Lead Actor, Drama Series: Jeff Daniels, The Newsroom
- Still wishing this was the Grammys? Good news, it's time for a Carrie Underwood performance.
- Lead Actress, Drama Series: Claire Danes, Homeland
- Awards for Guest Actor and Actress in a Drama Series had also already been given out, but since you almost certainly wanted to know: Dan Bucatinsky and Carrie Preston won.
- Directing, Drama Series: David Fincher, House of Cards
- Writing, Variety Series: The Colbert Report
- Directing, Variety Series: Saturday Night Live
- Another tribute: Michael J. Fox remembering Gary David Goldberg.
- For those of you nostalgic not for the Grammys but for the Tonys, the Outstanding Choreography award gets its own behind-the-scenes bit and epic song-and-dance medley. The winner: Derek Hough, Dancing With the Stars.
- Outstanding Variety Series: The Colbert Report dethrones The Daily Show
- Edie Falco delivers a tribute to James Gandolfini.
- "This just in, no one in America is winning their Emmys pool." NPH acknowledges the night's many surprises.
- Writing, Miniseries or Movie: Abi Morgan, The Hour
- Supporting Actor, Miniseries or Movie: James Cromwell, American Horror Story: Asylum
- And now, the actual In Memoriam segment.
- Directing, Miniseries or Movie: Steven Soderbergh, Behind the Candelabra
- Supporting Actress, Miniseries or Movie: Ellen Burstyn, Political Animals
- Lead Actor, Miniseries or Movie: Michael Douglas, Behind the Candelabra
- Outstanding Miniseries or Movie: Behind the Candelabra
- Outstanding Comedy Series: Modern Family
- Outstanding Drama Series: Breaking Bad
More interested in fashion? Check out the best, worst, and wackiest of the red carpet
. (Read more Emmy Awards