Puppy's Collar Obliterates Part of Owner's Home

Puppy's collar got caught on gas valve, triggering explosion
By Jenn Gidman,  Newser Staff
Posted Feb 12, 2016 9:21 AM CST
Puppy's Collar Obliterates Part of Owner's Home
No canines (or humans) were hurt.   (Shutterstock)

For the gas explosion that nearly decimated a Gulfport, Miss., house on Wednesday, everything had to go exactly right—or, rather, exactly wrong. Per the local fire chief, the home's resident puppy got its collar stuck on an unused laundry-room gas valve (the same exact height as the pup's collar, investigators note), which opened the valve and allowed gas to stream through a vent and into the attic, WLOX reports.

Which maybe would have worked out OK if a human had noticed the leak in time—but then either the water heater or the furnace clicked on, igniting the explosion. The AP notes Laporsha Simmons and her three kids weren't at home at the time, and the firefighters removed four dogs from the home, which had a hole blown into one side. (A goose hunter died after his dog stepped on his shotgun.)

We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.